Monday, August 15, 2011

What the heck is a studio era film and why should I care?

Because, young grasshopper, if you take away the special effects, the surround sound, the Pixar style animation, and pretty much everything else that makes up a film of today all you have left is...acting and storyline. That is all. Of course films from the the classic studio era (1929 to roughly 1949) had what was then to be called special effects but lets be honest, we are all a little over stimulated at this point to be impressed by these effects.  This is not to say that I don't love films today, I just saw Rise of the Planet of the Apes and loved it, I just have a particular if not odd interest in the classic studio period.

For those who don't know, the Studio Era was defined such because there were eight major studios that actually owned the theaters that films were being shown in. This resulted in a production of so many films, at such an amazing speed, that if they were to be replicated by today's standards...well...we would have nothing to do for second dates. The studios were entities among themselves, actors signed specifically with certain producers, they had their own social organization (police, writers, directors, caterers, etc.) and it was a glorious time for fantastic films, as well as...well...crap. The beginning of this era is also defined as the development of sound with film, just as a side note. The end most likely correlating with the fall of RKO, which is a whole different story itself. But I digress.

Now that you are a full fledged expert on the Gold Age of Hollywood (okay, well do your homework) I can dive into the point of my story. I love this time period in film. I love it. I sometimes have fantasies about opening a vintage clothing store (like my mother did) and selling only 1940's fashions. I sit out in the sun and read biographies about classic film actresses and listen to big band music. Men who can dance are sexy to me, and good god...what I wouldn't give to be able to live in Los Angeles in 1939. Ah well, here I am, a grown up punk of a kid living in South Dakota and pinching pennies for that Turner Classic Movies Cruise (oh yes, hence the inspiration for this post). I have the clothes, I can have the hair...comeon I am ready for my closeup! So today, I was discussing my absolute love for classic films (even the silent films) to a young 20 year old who just looked at me like I was telling her about how I enjoyed eating cats. I tried to explain to her that if one would dredge away the "extras" of so many modern movies you would left with piss poor storytelling and even more piss poor acting. That the classic films allow for your mind to create its own parallels, they allow for your imagination to make comparisons to your own life that Transformers simply doesn't allow. Its like the Hitchcock theory of horror; it is more frightening to imagine what is happening rather than to see it. The same goes for so many other brilliant films.

I had a boyfriend once who would get bored and angry with me for going off on tangents when I saw a classic film that struck me, I should have known it was never going to work.

So, I would like to share with you some of the films that I find are the most poignant, striking, and brilliant of their time, and the lessons I have learned from them. Of course this does not account for ALL great films of this time, just the ones that have touched me and helped me through good times and bad. If you haven't seen them, I recommend that you fire up your netflix and get to getting!

Never Let Anyone Call You Names: Do you think that Kate Hepburn would have allowed Spencer Tracy to call her names? No of course not! This doesn't pertain to any specific film, per se, but it is more of a statement of strong female leads of this time as a whole. Think of all of those famous film slaps. The woman, scorned. The man, angry. What does she do? She doesn't allow it to happen twice. I think most women (and men) have one relationship in which they are verbally abused and you are allowed your one screw up, but after that, oh no my dear. Those brave, brash, and ballsy women of the 1940's screen gems would never allow themselves to be called "bitch" or "skank" or anything else derogatory. That was what made them great.

Love Adheres to No Racial Boundaries: The Bitter Tea of General Yen. Here was the first film to explore the idea of inter-racial love, even amidst war time. 1933 and Frank Capra was hailed as a FAILURE for this film. No inter- racial kiss had ever been shown until this film it was appalling to the public at the time. However, in retrospect, the film has been recognized and celebrated for its portrayal of war, love, and death.

Forgiveness is Powerful: The Imitation of Life. 1934. Granted, another racially poignant film (known for having Louise Beavers play an African American housekeeper who becomes independently wealthy, another first) this film is more about the power of forgiveness, which is only exposed at the end of the film. It is heartwrenching and lovely at the same time.

Words Can Hurt: The Childrens Hour. Okay, so 1961 is a little late for the Studio Era but I think this film has a good place in this list. A young Audrey Hepburn (my favorite) and Shirley MacLaine have to fight a community after rumors circulate that they are lesbians. No where in the movie does anyone say that this is wrong, except for the antagonists, and it is heartbreaking to see the damage that thoughtless and hurtful rumors can do to the lives of others.

You Can't Always Get What You Want, But Sometimes You Get What You Need: Sorry Jagger, I had to steal it. Kitty Foyle (1940, Ginger Rogers!) is the story of a young woman torn between the man she wants and the man she has, between the life she dreams about and the life she is offered. It is a true cliffhanger at the end of the film, when she gets into the New York cab and you are never quite sure where she is going. Oh its just lovely!

A Good Man Never Gives Up: again, a little late but hell, its Cary Grant! 1957's an Affair to Remember. Of course it is the remake of the 1939 film so I think it still counts. The cruise! The city! The iconic Empire State Building, standing as tall and strong as their love! Ok, I get carried away, but how wonderful is it to think that that somewhere, we may all find someone who loves us and cares about us so much that it would span decades, despair, and denial. Personally, I can't get enough of it, but I am a soft hearted liberal.

Well, I am sure I can make the list go on and on and on...but I will stop here. I hope that anyone reading this takes the time to see some of these films and maybe even let me know what you think! Until then, shine on you Hollywoodland starlets and stars....


No comments:

Post a Comment